Friday, October 10, 2008

Opera to finally get some design love from the Mac side


Admittedly, there aren't a lot of people who love Opera for the Mac. I have always been a closet fan (in fact, I have it installed on all of my Macs), although I don't use it every day. More often than not, Mac fans criticize the browser for its odd UI quirks—particularly on the Mac. That could be changing, however, as Opera is about to get some much-needed attention in the realm of design.

Opera has decided to bring on designer Jon Hicks to help give the browser a little bit of a makeover. Starting at the end of October, Hicks will be filling the role of senior designer at Opera, where he will work on Opera's desktop browser, as well as Widgets and Mobile/Mini browsers. He wrote on his blog this morning that he hopes to be able to implement some ideas he has for the logo and branding as well. For those of you unfamiliar with Hicks' previous work, he is responsible for the logos and branding for Firefox and Thunderbird.

"Opera has been a browser vendor who's [sic] ideals and feature list I've applauded, but whose Mac interface design I've been, well, critical of to be honest," Hicks wrote on his blog. "Now I've got a chance to 'put my money where my mouth is.'" We're all rooting for you, Jon. Maybe you can help Opera enter the new millennium and actually compete with the likes of Safari, Firefox, and IE.

Resource - Ars Technica

No comments: